Sunday, August 29, 2010

August in Guanajuato, México!

Hello all - OK, I know, I've been away a long time!  I'll try and be better about regular updates!  A lot of amazing stuff happened last spring but since it's so late, I'll just resume with current events....

August has been very exciting.  I have been in Guanajuato for the entire month.  I was invited by my good friend and flamenco/classical guitarist extraordinaire Rafael Cuen Garibi.  I taught Master Classes to the percussionists of the University of Guanajuato and I've been enrolled in a month-long Spanish language intensive course.  Every day, classes in grammar, conversation, literature, and history - completely in Spanish.  It's been intense, but wonderful, and just the "jump-start" I needed for my Spanish.  Que Bueno!  Special thanks to Southern Oregon University for helping to make this trip possible!

My family joined me for 2 weeks and we had a wonderful time. I've made many new friends here, and I look forward to returning soon.  Here are some pictures:

The colors here are so increíble!  The Guanajuato Basilica against the sky:

Los Tiempos Pasados in the Teatro Juárez with poet Pedro Vázquez Nieto.  Wonderful concert!  Rafael is on the far right and my nuevo amigo Ramon is on the far left.

At the top of "El Pipila".

Rafael and his AMAZING paella - que rico!

About to dig in - Rafael, Max, Maddy, me, and Georgina:

Cathedral in San Miguel de Allende - day trip:

Amazing garden at Casa-Museo Gene Byron in Marfil (Guanajuato) - I could live here!

Mis amigas del estudio de español - Stacey and Victoria:

Amazing quartet - "The Sconek-T" - thanks Adrián for the great percussion playing and for trading cajón licks!

Hangin' post-master class with the percussionists of Guanajuato.  What a great group - thank you all!  "Que chido!"

5 comments:

Craig said...

Thanks for the blog cuz. Always good to hear from the left coast Longshores. Keep them cards and letters(e-mails)comin.
CL

Tomm Roland said...

Wow man! Looks like a great trip! Hope all is well and let's catch up sometime soon.

Alissa said...

Thanks for sharing Terry - looks fantastic! Alissa

jay armstrong said...

excellente! I can hardly imagine a better way to spend a summer month. Now lets see if your tan improves your accent.

Brian said...

Looks like your having a fantastic time. Get in touch with me when you get back. I'd like to run a couple of ideas by you. Thanx, Brian Scalise